Monday, September 17, 2007

Michaux #3 ~Terror of Teaberry~

50 miles in Michaux's forest gives you plenty of time to have an ongoing dialog with yourself, mostly containing the word OUCH! This race definitely lived up to every square inch of that word and goes down in my book as the hardest 50 (some said 56) miles that I have and will ever complete. Some true back country stuff through old forest growth, rocky ridges, stream crossings, loose tread on some newly cut trails, long unforgiving climbs, and plenty of cramping from mile 36 until finish. This race also had the adventure knob turned up to 11, leaving one to ask the question during several moments throughout the day, "Am I even on the course?" Unfortunately, a couple of times the answer was, "no", but you always have a few people you dragged down with you. This just goes to show that that this place takes everything you have and not just the normal stamina, speed, and agility to go the distance, but these challenges keep me returning for the series every season. I ripped myself apart on this one and have never felt pain like this in a long time. I have never been so happy to see a gravel parking lot as I entered the finish gate. I completed the task in 6hrs 35min, under the 7hr goal I set for myself. This was one race to remember, Sunday at 8am was the start, it's Wednesday and it still hurts to sit down.