Friday, November 28, 2008

Spring Mtn.

Oh how races can change from week to week. This race had the potential to be Mercer Cup all over again when the snow makers automatically kicked on at the original race venue. At the last minute, the course was relocated to the park down he street, where a fast, flowing, and somewhat frozen course was laid out. With snow covered Spring Mountain serving as the backdrop to the venue, Jude, Jimmy, and myself got there with plenty of time to burn off two practice laps in the 27 degree air. Calls ups were pretty lax, 5th street guys to the front, that's it. I managed to find a good home in the scrum. The short grass prologue and the 90 degree turn right did not spread out the riders at all and resulted in some bike tangle ups. I moved outside (almost in the cornfield) and away from the sound of tires rubbing and the clanging of frames touching. I settled into a nice mid pack rhythm keeping in mind that the numerous switchbacks would test bike handling. The bike-eating mud bog and the tundra mound would also be spots to watch. By lap three I was really moving up in the pack and decided to ratchet up my effort. After three laps, I was expecting the cowbell, but instead a sign that read 3 laps to go. Better bring it down a little. By the time the bell lap was sounded, I could see I was in top ten, I couldn't catch on to anyone's wheel and decided just to defend and stay smooth. By now the mud bog was deeper and bigger. Finesse in this spot would be key with 10th and 11th spot breathing down my neck. Pop a wheelie and muscle out the back wheel seemed to be the best tactic. Simply riding into it at this point would be over the bars. Cleaned it, spun out, got back up to speed. Over the barriers, and my bike neglect from Mercer could cost me now. My pedals seized and barely spun. I tried to clip in, but with the finish so close and riders closing in behind, I just let my feet float. The final sprint was sketch, but I held ninth. My best result yet and well past my cross goals which were to keep my fitness up and try to finish in the 20's. This was a good suprise.