Monday, June 22, 2009

Stoopid 50

This is a pure gem, my new favorite trail, the ridge line of Tussey Mountain in State College. Call it my happy place inside my head if you will.

With all of the damp, sloppy weather we have been dealt all race season so far, it's time we got a break. This year's Stoopid 50 was good times all around, people-wise, trail-wise, and weather-wise. This place has it all, rocky singletrack, blazing descents, and climbs that never seem to end, but reward you with stunning ridge-line views and riding. I really don't do many 50 miles rides and therefore, never go into a 50 mile race with a competitive mindset. Getting the time under 7 hours is fine by me. Although that time would have been a little closer to 6 and a half hours had I not blown a left turn, got completely turned around, and made a long ride that much longer. I had to pull into my reserves and grab my Shuffle in order to motivate and get my mind back in the groove. Did just the trick, until the climbs up Thickhead and Gettis had their say. They were the nail in the coffin as I grinded out the seemingly endless, 15 miles or so, of climbing/walking (the single-speeders other gear). I was relieved at the top but found the sick joke waiting in the last mile. A rocky narrow single-track that just had its way with me, leaving me punch drunk as I saw rocks, knew what would happen if I hit them, and basically just let that situation unfold with little effort to stop it. All in all, I loved it and the bike felt great from the work at Cyclefitters earlier in the week. I keep replaying the day over and over in my head, because that is all there is when it's been raining almost every day since then.